Your region
Tel.  888-206-4377
Home > Applications > Occupational Noise > Sound Level Meter

Occupational Noise Sound Level Meter - OSHA

The OSHA occupational noise regulations recommend the type of sound level meter that you should use for an occupational noise survey. The meters below are the ones we recommend for this type of noise measurement.

For help selecting the right meter please see the Which Meter? section lower down this page.

Price Includes?

The prices listed below include everything you need to carry out an occupational noise survey in line with the OSHA regulations:

  • Sound Level Meter with Calibration Certificate
  • Calibrator with Calibration Certificate

Basic Occupational
Sound Level Meter

Basic Occupational Sound Level Meter
  • Fast and Slow sound level
  • OSHA noise survey
  • Quick and easy to use
More information...

Sound Level Meter

Integrating Sound Level Meter
  • Average sound level (Lavg)
  • Peak for loud banging noise
  • Data logging
More information...

Which meter?

Any of the above meters will be adequate for an OSHA noise survey, but please read the notes on Do I Need Peak? and Integrating Meter? to the right.

All three of these meters meet the ANSI S1.4 standard to Type 2, as required by the regulations. They also measure the A weighted Slow sound level (minimum requirement of the regulations).

The prices shown on this page are for a complete Noise Measurement Kit, which includes the meter, a calibrator and a carrying case. Although you can buy a meter on its own, all sound level meters should be checked before making measurements using a suitable Sound Level Calibrator.

Prefer a Dosimeter?

dbadge noise dosimeter

These hand-held sound level meters are used for making manual noise measurements, from which you can calculate a worker's Time Weighted Average, or TWA.

Another option is to use a noise dosimeter like the dBadge, which mounts on the worker's should and measures the TWA over a full working day. More information...

Integrating Meter?

An Integrating sound level meter averages the sound level, effectively smoothing your reading. This is very useful for noise levels that are not constant, and recommended by many noise measurement regulations. Although not demanded by the OSHA regulations, we do recommend the use of an integrating sound level meter.

Do I Need Peak?

The Z-weighted Peak is used to check for loud banging noise. This is not the same as Max Sound Level (see Min, Max, Peak for more information). You should have a sound level meter with Peak measurement if there is any chance that employees are exposed to loud banging noise.

Do I Need Data Logging?

No you don't. There is nothing in the regulations that suggests this. For many occupational noise measurements you will be recording one or two numbers, so data logging is not necessary. However, it can make the process more efficient if you have lots of measurements to make or if you are then using the measurements to calculate a worker's TWA.

Telephone 888-206-4377  
Home - Contact - Applications - Products - Rental - News - Resources - Search - Help
Sound Level Meters - Dosimeters - Noise Signs - Microphones & Calibrators